Monday, February 2, 2009

Cleaning Up

DISCLAIMER: I have not proofread this.  So, if you find errors... it's because I had to go and proofread real homework. ;-)

It's dusk outside, and there's some snow on the ground... inside my bright dorm room, my roommate is listening to her rap... and doing a dance. The sink slowly drip-drops as our California flag sways away from our wall...N64 controllers, backpacks, shoes, and dirty laundry litter our floor... maybe it's time to clean up...

But first, I want to comment on ballroom try-outs...
 As I walked into the RB, I saw them in massive groups.  I noticed their athletic builds and their perfectly kept sandals.  Their makeup was flawless, and I could find no imperfection with any of them... I watched the masses parade into a room... I followed the sound of their Latin sandals clicking against the hard floor. I walked into the room and took a look around...Those Latin sandals that I had followed into the room gracefully clicked the floor...  I nervously clicked the heels of my own Latin sandals... secretly wishing that they would take me home... I was so intimidated. There was no way that I could dominate that dance floor.  So, I left the ballroom try-outs... without even trying out.  oh well, there's always next year! ;-)

Well, let's see... college life has been great, so far. It has been a month since I returned to school.  This semester, I have started volunteering with TOPS.  I basically go and help in a classroom.  I love the kids! They are all so cute! It has been fun so far!

Some more volunteering I'm doing is at BYUSA. I have started by writing a few press releases for BYUSA, and that has been going well.  Last week, I wrote one about "Knight Games."  It's basically a medieval carnival in the Wilk.  Next week, I have to write one on YBall.  That should be interesting.

Speaking of press releases, I get to write press releases for the Stanislaus County Fair!  I loved working there last summer, and I was so happy when they said I could write press releases for this year!

Unfortunately, I'm not writing press releases in my communications classes... I'm not even writing articles.  That really bums me out... I miss writing in my classes... my communications 275 class is fun.  Learning how to use video editing software is almost worth getting up at 7:15 for 8:00am lab. ;-)  The teacher for my communications 239 class is a cool guy, but I wish we got to write... like in communications 211...last semester. On the bright side, my presentation group scored a 90% on our project!! YAY! We would have done better if we hadn't gone 10 minutes over! Ooops! :-P

Speaking of scores, I am soooo excited about my American Heritage test!  American Heritage is a dreaded class...that EVERYONE at BYU has to take.  I was freaking out about my test... because the TA sent emails that said things like "if you're not happy with your score, don't worry...we'll curve them."  Well, I went in and took it... I felt my palms sweat in anticipation.  I read over the questions carefully and made a smeary mess of my bubble sheet. With shaking hands, I gave it to the testing center attendant. I quickly ran by the screen with not so much as a glance... I came home and turned on my computer... With my heart pounding, I clicked the link that would give me my score... I got a... 91.2%...wait?  Did I see that correctly?  I keep making sure it's real, and apparently, it's real! I still have to wait for the written portion to be graded, but I am sooooo grateful that my studying and prayers paid off!!
 
Matt's taking that class with me... which makes it awesome! :-)  He opened his mission call on Friday.  He's going to Tallahassee, Florida Spanish speaking!!  I am so excited for him, but I will miss him...

Man, I have been typing for a really long time...

As I have been typing, it has become very dark outside... there's some snow on the ground. Inside my bright dorm room, my roommate is still listening to rap... and doing a dance. The sink slowly drip-drops...our California flag makes a swaying movement... the N64 controllers, backpacks, shoes, and dirty laundry still litter our floor... maybe it's finally time to clean it up.

No comments: