Sunday, February 22, 2009

A Work in Progress...

Recently, I've had a lot of time to think.  It is amazing how much a walk, a good song, or a quote can change how you think about something. 

Today in church we talked about how grateful we need to be for what we have.  
I know this:
I have always wanted to be independent; Moving away from home was the perfect opportunity to be independent and learn more about myself. 

I have learned:
How to do my laundry without  messing up the colors of my clothes.
Drinking soda every day will make me sick.
I need to sleep.
Making your own decisions isn't all it's cracked up to be.
Big jackets and hot chocolate are MUSTS in the snow.
Ice is evil and will cause you to get large bruises if you fall.
Microwavable food is amazing.
Friends are your family away from home.
It's easier to see who your true friends are.
I love my family so much

I have ALWAYS loved my family, but I never appreciated all of the nice things that my mom and dad did for me. I also miss Laura going through my closet before seminary... and singing at the tops of our lungs to whatever was on the radio. I miss when I would be sad... and Lizzie would come find me...no matter how much I wanted to be alone.  She'd bring me tissues and band-aids...even if I didn't have any cuts. :-)  I guess that growing up means understanding how much you love and appreciate your family. I like to think that I appreciate them now.  I don't appreciate them enough, but I know I appreciate them more than ever.

Time has flown by, and March is upon us.  Today, we also discussed how we need to  appreciate every moment we have.  Every minute we waste being unhappy or ungrateful is time we will never get back. We discussed the talk "Finding Joy in the Journey" and it mentioned this quote:

"Pile up too many tomorrows and you'll find that you've collected nothing but a bunch of empty yesterdays." 
-The Music Man

I am a work in progress, but I've decided to try and appreciate every moment I have. I'm not going to rush to grow up or to be too independent... or I just might end up with a bunch of empty yesterdays.

No comments: